Pirates and vikings: together at last! Here are a few Antillicious rum-based recipes I cooked up this weekend in honor of nothing in particular. Yo ho ho!
As always, all measurements are to taste. Use your best judgement, ye scurvy dogs!
Cuba Libre (Rum and Coke) Sauce for Pork
beni shouga 紅ショウガ (red pickled ginger)
ketchup, okonomi sauce, yakisoba sauce, tonkatsu sauce, and/or barbecue sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until reduced to a thick, sticky glaze.
- Spoon over sliced pork tenderloin or other prepared pork dish and serve.
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
about 1/3 cup butter
about 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 medium loaf soft bread
about 1/2 cup milk
about 1/2 cup sugar
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Coin bananas and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and mix well to form a thick caramel.
- Turn off heat and add rum. Turn heat back on to medium-high until rum begins to bubble. Ignite with a long match or kitchen lighter. Shake pan to extinguish flames. Stir to mix.
- Reduce heat to medium, add bananas, and toss to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add allspice, cinnamon, and ginger and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, allspice, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Beat well until homogeneous.
- Layer bread and Bananas Foster mixture in a deep baking pan; add about 2/3 of the bread cubes, then about 2/3 of the Bananas Foster, then the remaining bread, and finally top with the remaining Bananas Foster.
- Pour in milk and egg mixture and pack bread down so that each piece is soaked.
- Place in a 350° oven (180° Celsius) and bake for about 45 minutes, or until top turns brown.
- Melt white chocolate and spread over the top of the pudding. Dust with additional allspice and cinnamon. Top with whipped cream and serve.
black bean tea or barley tea
- Boil water and pour over tea, cinnamon, and orange peel.
- Steep for 2-3 minutes, then add rum.